5th September 2017
Lorna’s time with us was coming to an end. We needed to get her back on the train to Copenhagen airport. So we had to find a mainline station near a port, oh and in the right direction for the expected wind. Not as easy as it sounds! The nearest towns with stations were either Korsør, good for an easterly wind or Nykobing for a westerly.
Leaving Karrebaeksminde in the sunshine
We also had a window in the weather of 36 hours before a nasty storm from came in. We left the marina at Karrebaeksminde at 0945 in a light F2 westerly, so Nykobing it was! The sea state was very calm and perfect for the first leg of our journey to Guldborg or if we made really good progress, then up the Guldborg Sund to Nykobing itself.
Our first leg was 5.5 nm to the south cardinal on the end of Knudshoved that marked the gap between the shoals that stretch towards Verjo. We then changed onto a bearing of first 170 and then 148 for six nautical miles to avoid the reefs that run between the north cardinal off Femo and the south cardinal off Vesterskor. Then we sailed on a bearing of 340 to pass between the north cardinal that marked the Vigso Flak and the red buoy that was at the start of dredged channel that twists its way to the Guldborg Bridge.
The start of the channel into Guldborg Fjord
Guldborg has an opening bascule bridge which you have to negotiate to reach the marina. Opening bridges and the messing around while they open holds no fears now after the confined spaces of the Dutch canals! We approached it slowly, flying our “N” flag to request the bridge to open. Nothing happened! No lights, bells or whistles to signify that it might open for us! I called up the bridge on the VHF on channel 12 and still nothing! There was no sign of life! We were a bit stuck, we needed to pass through the bridge to get to our planned stop for the night at Guldborg and it was getting too late in the day to go to our reserve port on Femo. This required a daylight entry to navigate its unlit and difficult approach. Suddenly after making another circuit in the approach to the bridge, a small door opened and an arm waved furiously at us to come forward. Edging closer and closer to the bridge and still nothing seemed to happen. Then when we were almost in touching distance, one of the spans slowly opened and we passed through, our rigging just a few feet away from the still opening bridge.
Finally it opened!
We had made such good progress that we decided to carry on up the Sund for a further 8 nm to Nykobing while the weather still held. It was very calm and we motored up the channel, which in places around the motorway Naviduct was only 10 metres wide. The only boat we passed on the way had its sails beautifully set to gently glide up the Sund, its side rails draped in washing, drying in the sunshine. We could see no signs of anyone at the tiller, just feet propped up on the side bench and a hat peeping out of the top of a book. It all looked very relaxed!
Gently sailing up the Gulborg Sund
Eventually we found the marina, making a sharp turn to port at the red buoy opposite the entrance. This was the Wikingen Yacht Club and we found a vacant guest berth in the shadow of the huge Dansk Agro grain silos. At least we would be secure here from the bad weather we were expecting, doubling up Grace’s mooring lines just to be sure! We were soon joined by two German, a Dutch and a French boat seeking shelter!
Wikingen Yacht Club
In the shelter of the silos
Grace securely moored up in readiness for the bad weather.
Large Dutch yacht running for shelter